up2date defaults to skipping kernel updates

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Jul 27 23:13:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:42:49 -0400 (EDT), Jay Lee wrote:

> I'm curious why up2date still skips all kernel* rpms from installation by
> default.  I realize that installing a new kernel RPM is a big deal but the
> kernel is also by it's nature a very important package to have up to date
> for security and stability purposes.  It would seem to me that removing it
> from the skiplist in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date and keeping it in the
> "install not update" list by default would make Fedora somewhat more
> secure (especially for those users who are clueless about this).  Also,
> I've noticed that when kernels are installed, not updated, grub.conf
> continues to use the old kernel as the default boot option, maybe this
> should be changed to?

Why make it the default when the user, who wants to change it, can
reconfigure up2date easily? If you want automated kernel updates, apply
the necessary changes.

An unattended kernel update combined with an unexpected reboot should
never result in booting the new kernel automatically. What if the new
kernel doesn't boot?