Installing software from RPMs

A. Lanza alf at lanza-ti.com
Wed Jul 28 07:13:20 UTC 2004

Hi list,

i'm beginning to install some new software in my FC2 linux system. Now
i'm looking for some multimedia players, i've found out that there are
some of them, like xine or mplayer.

Since they're not included in the distribution CDs, i went for them to
freshrpms.net. I found them there and downloaded them, but when i try to
install them with rpm command i get a lot of messages telling that these
files have dependencies.

I've intended to use yum, because i know that this tools is able to
check dependencies and install them before the main package, but i had
no luck trying 'yum install xine', because it tells that xine is not in
its database.

Is there any simple way to install these software and all its
dependencies? Is there any way to update the yum database? What about
apt? Better than yum?

TIA,

AL