(no subject)

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 13:00:51 UTC 2004

Hi,

> I have DSL through AT&T, which I believe is PPPOE. I am not running
> through a router, I have the DSL "modem" direct to my computer. I was
> wondering if anyone has setup this configuration before, since I
> cannot get this to work

I know through my cable modem, it was just a case of connecting the
network lead, defining a DNS address or two and that was that.

Power down the machine
Connect the network lead
Power up the machine
Open a terminal window
/sbin/ifconfig eth0

You should find you have an IP address in there somewhere for you
machine. If you don't

neat
(you'll need to type in your admin password)

This will bring up the network configuration.

You should have a line on the first screen which says under "Device"
eth0 and under "Type" xDSL.

Ensure the hardware has been picked up. Click on the hardware tab, this
will give you a description of the hardware, the type, device name and
if it's working. If your card is not there, click on the "New" icon and
go through setting up the network card. On the screen which asks for the
IRQ etc, don't worry, just click OK.

Click on the "Devices" tab. You should see the hardware description, but
that it is inactive.

To set up your DSL account, click on the "New" icon and follow the
prompts - it's all self explanitory.

Finally, you may need to enter the DNS values for your ISP. You should
have them somewhere and they are entered via the "DNS" tab.

When you're done, click on the "Activate" icon, that should do the rest
for you. Say yes to save the profile.

Once that is done....

Still in the terminal window

su
(enter root password)
/etc/init.d/network restart

And that should be it.

Hope that helps.

TTFN

Paul

--
"Look. If you had one shot, one opportunity, to seize everything you
ever wanted. One moment to capture or would you just let it slip?" -