system clock is too slow

Gang Qin gqin at fit.edu
Wed Jul 28 17:48:51 UTC 2004

Thank you very much for the help! Below I am trying to provide the
information...

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Gang Qin wrote:
>

>>My FC2's system clock is very slow, every hour it loses more than 30 min
>>when the system is running, is there a way to find out the reason and
>>correct it? Thanks.
>>

>What sort of motherboard do you have? What sort of hard drives and CDs,
>and how are they connected?

It is a hp pavilion ze4400 (or compaq presario 2100)  with Mobile
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz,  inner QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-241,
inner ATA DISK drive 5400 40G

>Does it make any difference how busy the system is? What happens if you
>leave it doing nothing for an hour? (Try running init 1 to really shut
>down background processes).

After init 1, I found my system clock only passed 31 min for an hour.

>Can you do a couple of "cat /proc/interrupts"es on a really quiet
>system, say five minutes apart?

results of "cat /proc/interrupts" are in the bottom.

>Can you get hold of a DOS boot disk? Does the same thing happen in DOS?
>(Try www.freedos.org if necessary).

There were no problem before I change from RH9 to FC2. The FC2 is a
fresh installation. I may try the freedos later. Thanks.

cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    2763867          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1064          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          1          XT-PIC  ALI 5451
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:        746          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:       1067          XT-PIC  ohci_hcd, eth1, eth0
 11:          5          XT-PIC  yenta
 12:      38676          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      20840          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:       1149          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          5
[root at pc3 oo]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    3171884          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1070          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          1          XT-PIC  ALI 5451
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:        795          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:       1467          XT-PIC  ohci_hcd, eth1, eth0
 11:          5          XT-PIC  yenta
 12:      38676          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      21097          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:       1761          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          5
[root at pc3 oo]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    3604642          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1076          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          1          XT-PIC  ALI 5451
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:        848          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:       1753          XT-PIC  ohci_hcd, eth1, eth0
 11:          5          XT-PIC  yenta
 12:      38676          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      21305          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:       2409          XT-PIC  ide1