Sound questions

Hesty P hestyp at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 19:59:09 UTC 2004

Hello all,

After fiddling around with .asoundrc, I finally got
dmix-ing working. I can now have several streams of
sound playing at the same time. No intention of
gloating here, especially since a number of people are
still having problem with sound. :) :)

My next step is to have all my instant messaging to
use alsa (so that I can have this multiple stream
stuff). Gaim seems to use libao, which can easily be
told to use alsa. Amsn uses play and I'm stumped with
this. How do I tell play to use alsa driver. Play only
has --device=XXX switch and no --driver. Also, is
there any other sound player except play that can use
alsa driver? It only needs to be able to play wav
file.

Cheers,
Hesty