Off Topic - VOIP/SIP gateway

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Wed Jul 28 22:25:34 UTC 2004

This isn't directly related to Fedora, but we have clients running
Fedora servers and this has come up as a topic of conversation at
several meetings.

We've pushed Linux so hard at our client sites that those who've
switched from NetWare and Windows to Linux server environments are now
asking us to help them get rid of their PSTN phone systems in favor of
VOIP/SIP replacements. They can plainly see that our Linux
recommendations have paid off and now want us to help them migrate their
voice phone systems to a more modern platform.

BTW - Those on this list that are squeamish about Fedora being a Linux
test bed and aren't implementing Fedora Core 2 Servers are missing out
on a great platform. With a prudent choice of hardware and proper
implementation, Fedora Core 2 has absolutely nothing to apologize for.
All our internal servers are FC2 and they all run like a Swiss watch.

We're looking for a Linux based VOIP/SIP gateway that can access the
PSTN phone network. Specifically, we'd like a recommendation from anyone
that's implemented a mechanism that allows a business to run their
internal phones over their TCP/IP network (LAN or WAN), and then hit a
gateway to allow them to also make calls to standard PSTN phone numbers.
Obviously, this involves some hardware to convert TCP/IP traffic to
POTS/T1 lines.

We're open to recommendations for any hardware that provides such
capabilities as well as any services that we can contract with to
provide that capability. Doing it without a service provider like
Vonage, Avaya, Packet8, etc is preferable for our larger clients, but
we'd like to hear about all the options so that even a Mom & Pop site
can take advantage of the technology.

Please - I can Google with the best of them, so no recommendations that
haven't been implemented. I'm after what is up and running somewhere,
not marketing BS.

As an example, a business owner in Dallas places a call to a department
head at their New York branch office via their TCP/IP network
(Internet/VPN), and then minutes later he/she calls Mom in Oshkosh and
all she has is an old rotary dial phone. The solution should make both
of these calls just as easy to make.

We need recommendations for solutions that allows a site to utilize VOIP
for all their internal voice traffic and then use X number of PSTN phone
lines to make calls to their clients, friends, etc that are still using
standard phone equipment, or pass that traffic to a service that can hit
the PSTN. Things like VOIP enables handsets, gateway boards, Windows &
Linux clients that can "pop" call information when a call is initiated
or received, etc are all of interest.

TIA

--
Bill Gradwohl