Window Managers

Asri Sulaiman azs at bom.gov.au
Thu Jul 29 00:36:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, jeem machine wrote:
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:53:11 -0400
> From: jeem machine <jmachine at gmail.com>
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Window Managers
>
> Hello all. I just got Enemy Territory working with my Radeon 9200se  and FC2.
> What is the best way to install a different window manager.
> I want to log use one that uses the least amount of resources.
> Can I do this with yum.
> Thanks
> JM

I am a great fan of fvwm.
Login takes less than a second in my ancient PIII-500.
None of those initialising this and that business.
Apart from being lean and mean, it is motif-like, similar
to wm on many other unix boxes around. When minimised,
I can specify in my .fvwm2rc file which icons go where
anywhere on the screen. Also left click anywhere on
desktop to get the start menu. Can also have gnome-panel
present if you wish.
    May not be the most straightforward to customise for
beginners, but I am no expert - see fvwm.org. Other than
that, I don't really see much cons - maybe also not so
good in the dragging and dropping area.
    It is not part of Fedora Core as far as I know but
it should!.
  I am too tied down with work and other stuff so I hope
someone may pick it up and champion the cause.

  In the meantime, I cannot remember wether I build mine
from source or RPM - must have been too easy.

Cheers
-Asri Sulaiman