Gnome vs KDE

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 29 11:29:06 UTC 2004

Jorge Cecílio wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use FC2 and would like to know what desktop shell should I use (Gnome,
> KDE, other) and why.
> (My system should connect to others FC2 and windows (XP home) (with samba)).
>
> What about File Managers? Should depend usage on what desktop shell I use?
> The ones I tried are Nautilus and Konqueror...
> (Once again, these are mainly used for local but also remote (smb://) access
> and program execution)
>

> Thanks in advance,
> JC

With my brief encounter trying to access windows shares on a LAN. I
found konqueror better than nautilus with connecting to the windows LAN.

Nautilus asked for a password for every directory that I changed to.
Konqueror only asked for the password once and was able to dive into
subdirectories.

I prefer GNOME as a desktop. I think the choice is a matter of which
desktop you feel meets your needs. KDE works decent also.

Jim

--
Harrisberger's Fourth Law of the Lab:
	Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined.