Samba

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 29 15:28:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 10:42, Marcelo Magno wrote:
> 	Could anyone point me some kind of documentation where I can
> find a easy way to configure samba as a member server with just one
> share that is read/write enable for everyone that is in my windows
> domain?
>
> 	The scenery is: I have one windows domain all ready set up and
> running, with a DC and w2k boxes ans xp boxes already log on this
> domain. What I need is to provide one file server that anyone in this
> domain can access.
>
> 	The problem is that I tryed to manage configuring samba with
> SWAT but I got stuck on the permissions problem. I'm wondering if there
> is a way to configure permissions to everyone at on time, without the
> need to configure one account in the linux box, for each account in the
> windows domain.
>
> 	Best Regards,
> 	Marcelo Magno

I believe this is doable.

You need to configure smb.conf with:

security = domain
workgroup = nameofdomain

You will then need to join the samba server to your windows domain.  On
the domain controller add a machine account for your samba server.
(been a long time since I did any of that so I don't remember the
details)

On the samba server you need to run:

net rpc join -U Administrator%password

(note: the password above is the domain admins password)

I believe you will still need to create a unix account for each user but
you can set them to /bin/false for the shell.  I think these are only
needed so the UIDs can be set on the unix side.  The authentication
should be done by the domain controller.

I think that will do it.  Hopefully one of the real samba experts will
chime in.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Insomnia isn't anything to lose sleep over.