text login

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jul 29 17:03:58 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 29.07.2004 schrieb Sameer Kamat um 18:56:

>     I have the default in inittab to run at  5(GUI mode). It works fine, but
> if I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 I do
> not see anything but a black screen. If I set the inittab default to
> runlevel 3,
> then I do get to a text login screen, however when I run startx to get to
> the GUI I lose the text console.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be doing to fix this ?

> Sameer Kamat

You have by default 6 consoles which you can reach from X running by
pressing Strg+Alt+F[1-6] (means function keys 1 to 6). You switch
between the consoles by just Alt+F[1-6] once you left X, still running
on Alt+F7.

If you use startx then append a & to the end, reads "startx &". This
will keep your console usable though you switch to X mode. Go back to
the startx console, say it is tty1, by using Strg+Alt+F1.

But I would suggest you try to find out whats causing the black screen
when switching from X to console. Do you use a framebuffer console?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 18:59:07 up 3 days, 4:05, load average: 0.10, 0.12, 0.10