Browsing Windows Shares

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Fri Jul 30 00:44:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 15:25, Paul Vandenberg wrote:
> I can't seem to see the Windows shares on my wife's computer. With
> Fedora Core 1, I just typed smb:/// in the location field of Nautilus
> and they appeared.

There is a problem in recent Samba version's where a PC with one or more
single quote characters in its computer description, e.g.

	Mary's Computer

will result in that machine not showing up when browsing the network. I
believe this will be fixed in Samba 3.0.5, but for now try removing the
single quotes. It worked for me almost instantly.

--
Brian Gaynor
Precision MicroControl Corp.

  e-mail: briang at pmccorp.com