Where can I find a C complier

J. Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Fri Jul 30 03:12:28 UTC 2004

----------------------------

> Message: 14
> Date: 29 Jul 2004 21:09:49 -0400
> From: Chris A Czerwinski <chrisczerwinski at cogeco.ca>
> Subject: Re: Where can I find a C complier
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 16:29, Eduardo de Moura Rodrigues wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 03:03, yuting at it.uts.edu.au wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I am new user of Linux. Now I am trying installing Apache
> at my PC. But
> > > the configure looked for C compilers. could you tell me
> how to install and
> > > config those compilers?
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Ting
> >
> > Hi!
> > You can get it in redhat.com
> > gcc
> > Ok!
>
> Help me out- If FEDORA is REDHAT doesn't gcc come with FC1,
> FC2 and FC3?
> Because isn't that what you use to compile your kernel?
> Or are you tricking us that you may need a special version eg
> gcc2.96 ??
>
> Which brings me to my next question - How would you compile
> your various
> applications with various C compilers and libraries i.e. config's?
>
> I guess I need to know the CONFIGUERATIONs "how to?" and "what links"
> and/or "Lib"raries are necessary also with their links. Or how do you
> mamage the LINKs - this is getting into ADVANCE LINKing and COMPILEing
>

> Chris Cz (Still a Newbie and will always be a Newbie at this rate)

If you are trying to install GCC, I believe that

# yum install gcc*

 will do the job for you.  Or install the GCC packages from the Fedora CD's.
Fedora has GCC, but you might not have it depending on how you installed
your system.

If you are trying to install Apache, you can also install it from the
recently released package rather than building from source.  But if you
specifically want to build Apache from source, you can.  Remember to install
the kernel-source package to make this go.

Erik