Gnome Icons/mimetypes Go Bye Bye

Andy Choens achoens at frontiernet.net
Fri Jul 30 04:54:33 UTC 2004

I've just installed FCII.  I'm coming over from SUSE to see what FC has
been up to.  Right now I've just got one little gripe, and I'm sure it
can be easily corrected once I know where to go.

I've got my directories all set up with the spatial nautilus and was
actually quite pleased, and then I noticed that the icon for the start
here desktop icon was missing.  Then, I noticed that nautilus no longer
recognizes such unusual filetypes such as rpm or .tgz.  I tried to tell
it, and it told me there was already a mime-type, did I want to
overwrite?  I said yes, and then tried to install an rpm, and nautilus
then informed me that there was no set mime-type.

My question is this.  Where does GNOME keep all of it's mime-type /
application icon information?  I want to delete this file and see if
GNOME can recover or copy these files from my root directory since it
seems to be just fine.  I just don't know what files to look at since
I'm used to using KDE.

I tried some things like .nautilus, and a few things under .gnome2.
When I searched the archives I found nothing about randomly disapearing
icons/mimetypes.

Thanks
andy