Email question

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Fri Jul 30 05:54:42 UTC 2004

John Arthur wrote:

> WOW Talk about doing it the hardway........
>
> I think you need to take a serious look at LDAP mail routing in
> Sendmail.
>
> I recently setup LDap routing on a businesses front end MX mail
> servers (Sendmail) and their rejected bounces went from 3000 a day
> down to 5.
>
> With LDAP mail routing all mail is rejected at the MX server unless
> it's for a legitimate user and the best part is once you have LDAP
> configured it's trivial to maintain.
>
> Oh! and LDAP is case insensitive.
>
> John

I agree. Implementing LDAP is by far a better solution. In fact, I currently
use LDAP at my end to populate my access file through an hourly cronjob.
This is by design. I chose not to configure my MTA to query my LDAP server
for each inbound e-mail. It queries a local database which contains the same
information.

FWIW: I posted the access table example above for the benefit of the OP to
answer his question. Yes, what I showed is the "hardway" (as noted in a
previous reply), but my goal was to give him a basic example of what will be
required to configure sendmail to reject unknown recipients without issuing
a bounce (hopefully in a test environment). How the OP ultimately chooses to
implement this in the future will be based on his current infrastructure and
requirements - which he has not specified. Hopefully, he can implement an
LDAP solution. If not...

Steve Cowles