Raid Configuration

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 12:24:52 UTC 2004

Si Jones wrote:
> Could someone tell me which one is faster out of mirror or striped
> software raid in FC, in there experience?

You've had a lot of good advice. In particular, how valuable is the
data? As if it has any particular value, forget speed, go for
mirroring for security. If it's worth anything, it's worth paying the
extra for another copy. And check your backup system!

Do you have anything in mind for the disk system, or are you just
looking for a fast desktop?

As if you have any particular application that needs the speed, let us
know: some applications seriously dislike certain RAID setups. RAID 5
is known to be bad for "real" databases, for example. And a highly-
respected database consultant on another mailing list once wrote:

    AutoRAID: quite possibly the worst possible choice for an IO
    subsystem -- it might even be worse than sharing an IDE drive
    on a Windows 3.11 workstation.

For other uses (notably where disks are managed for capacity, not
transactions per second), it's quite good.

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | The beauty of a pun is in the "Oy!" of the beholder.
westexe.demon.co.uk    |