Where can I find a C complier

ehemdal at townisp.com ehemdal at townisp.com
Fri Jul 30 13:30:59 UTC 2004

> >Which brings me to my next question - How would you compile
> your various
> >applications with various C compilers and libraries i.e. config's?
> >

> Depends.. if you want to use the latest gcc , usually you
> simply do vi
> README ; vi INSTALL ; ./configure ; ./make ; ./make install
> BUT , please read both the README and INSTALL files , because they
> usually contain information that is usefull to compile the program.
>
> >I guess I need to know the CONFIGUERATIONs "how to?" and "what links"
> >and/or "Lib"raries are necessary also with their links. Or how do you
> >mamage the LINKs - this is getting into ADVANCE LINKing and
> COMPILEing
> >

> I didnt get this part.. If you mean the linking part that occurs when
> you compile a program , you dont control it a lot... To find the
> necessary libs , you have to pay attention to the output of
> ./configure.. It looks for the necessary libs and reports if it finds
> them or not. If a important lib wasnt found , the compile part will
> simply fail. If a acessory lib wasnt found , then the program
> can  still
> be compiled , but will be missing some functionality.
> Usually when I compile a program from source (which is a bit rare ,
> considering all the repositories available) , is exactly what
> I told you
> before (vi README ; etc...) . But I usually do ./configure |tee
> output.log , so I can see what's going on and save the output to
> "output.log" . Then I look at the output.log file and look
> for all the
> tests that failed (to find if it's looking for a lib on the
> wrong place
> , if the program needs a lib I dont have , etc). Then , I correct all
> the problems (usually downloading the -devel package for that missing
> lib fixes everything). Then I keep doing the configure step untill
> everything works (or untill I get all the parts I want
> working). Then I
> proceed to compiling normally..
>
> Hope this helps..
>
> --
> Pedro Macedo

Pedro's advice is sound.
If the objective is to get Apache 2.0 running, it's a fairly
straightforward process.  Here's what I did to get it going before the
official Fedora package was available.

1.  Download the httpd package from apache.org
2.  Download the necessary GCC packages (there are several).  This was
actually done at installation because I knew I needed GCC for other
things.
3.  Install GCC and unpack the httpd source.
4.  Install the kernel-source package for the kernel you are running.
4.  In the httpd directory that's created look at INSTALL-SOURCE.  This
has instructions for a quick, simple installation.
5.  Run ./configure (to create a customized makefile)
6.  Run make (to build the software)
7.  Run make install (to install it in /usr/local/apache2)
8.  /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start gets you going with a basic
configuration.  All this should be done as root.

The plain install won't set up the links you may want in the init.d
directory hierarchy (so httpd won't show up in redhat-config-services) and
it won't appear when you query your RPM database.  But it will be there
and you can run it just fine.  If you want the niceties done for you, use
the Fedora package you can get via yum.

Erik