Raid Configuration

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Fri Jul 30 18:34:20 UTC 2004

On 07/29/2004 02:20 PM, Si Jones wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Could someone tell me which one is faster out of mirror or striped
> software raid in FC, in there experience?
>
> Cheers
>
> Simon Jones

A lot of people are saying mirrors are faster for read, and stripes are
faster for write, which is mostly true. BUT, if you have, say, a
database with zillions of tiny chunks of data, mirrors may be faster for
write as well.

The issue is that seek time is generally faster with mirrors, because
you just read the first copy you find; and stripes write smaller
portions of the file simultaneously, so a stripe set of five disks, for
example, can write a big file in roughly 1/5 the time (if your bus is
fastest enough). But when you're writing a very small chunk of data, the
seek time is proportionately more significant so for a tiny write job, a
mirror set can outperform a stripe set.

So, at least theoretically, mirrors can be faster for writing in some
cases. Whether that is often, rarely, or never true in the real world, I
can't tell you. I have had Oracle gurus tell me they use mirrors
specifically for this reason for the right kind of data. I don't know if
they're right. All I know for sure is, we use RAID 5 for everything
because it's safer, and pretty much any disk is faster than the network :-).

--Matt