FC2: Server installation with non-working SSHD and missing /etc/dhcpd.conf

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jul 30 21:03:42 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 30.07.2004 schrieb Philipp Ott um 11:01:

> However:  I want to setup dhcp server on eth0 but /etc/dhcpd.conf is
> missing - or is this by design not there? rpm shows dhcpd is installed.

The dhcp package does not contain a /etc/dhcpd.conf file. You'll find an
example with

/usr/share/doc/dhcp-3.0.1rc12/dhcpd.conf.sample

Respect too /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd.

> Second: I cant ssh into the box, not even ssh localhost. It says
> authentication failed and  there is no password query. In
> /var/log/message I find messages that Port 22 on 0.0.0.0 is already in
> use and sshd fails to bind there. I installed RH9 and FC1 a few times
> now but always either "Full" or "Workstation" plus few packages and
> never had a problem with the out-of-the-box ssh Installation. I changed
> options in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and ssh_config (removing Protocol 1
> support) and such but still cant ssh into the box. I disabled/unloaded
> iptables and still no success. SSH user at somewhere.else works, I can get
> "away" from the PC but no onto it.
>
> Was choosing "Server" a bad idea and do I have to add some more rpms?
> Did somebody stumble accross similar problems?

Check your /etc/hosts file. It _must_ contain a line

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost

This one is very important and you'll find in that file a comment about
that. It should have a second line which maps your private IP with your
chosen hostname, i.e.

192.168.0.1   server.myhome.lan   server

> Philipp Ott

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 22:58:18 up 4 days, 8:05, load average: 0.09, 0.26, 0.28