MIDI editor

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sat Jul 31 00:13:06 UTC 2004

Michael Sullivan wrote:
> In my search for a Linux MIDI editor I began looking over my Main
> Menu->Sound and Video->More Sound and Video and discovered an
> application called KMid.  It has an interesting interface, but I can't
> get any sound.  I have a MIDI file that I downloaded a long time ago
> that I'm using as a test file, and KMidi will play it just fine, but
> KMid still won't give me any sound.  Has anyone else encountered this
> problem?

Michael:

I ran into the same thing with my new box that I installed FC2 on. On my
old FC1 box, I have a SoundBlaster Live sound card, which it seems has
MIDI support, but my current setup uses an integrated sound card that
does not have MIDI support.

So when I created the score in lilypond, I also created a .midi file
that I wanted to check out. Kmid wouldn't play it, but I found that
timidity would play it!

Do a "which timidity" at a command prompt. See if you have it in
/usr/bin. If you do, then try playing the midi file with this command:

timidity nameofthemidifile.midi

Hope this helps,
Clint