Security Pipeline | News | Survey Finds Linux Hacks Rare

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 31 01:08:00 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 19:26, Price Technology wrote:

>>But then, isn't that one of the reasons we use it in the first place ??
>>
>>Joebewan
>>

> Exactly so!!!
>
> Although I have had one system hacked, it was my own stupidity.
> Directly connected to the internet with no firewall running and lots of
> services open for attack.
>
> I learned and have not been touched (knock on wood) for over 7 years
> now.
>

>>PS.  If I get negative feedback from this post, I promise I won't do it
>>again.

Anyone familiar with an exploit where someone uses postgresql and sends
root's emails to an alias address.

I've seen this on a machine on a heavily congested LAN, not my own
computers but a test machine.

If not, what type of exploits can be done with these tools? Mailman
references were also noticed. Is this a spammers trick?

Jim

--
Your object is to save the world, while still leading a pleasant life.