Just added a second Hard Drive

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 31 04:15:24 UTC 2004

Well, I just installed my other 80gb hard drive in as slave rather than
trying to setup a RAID array right now. I am trying to decide what to do
with it. I am thinking that I could have Windows on one drive and Linux
on the other, but that would force me to reinstall one of them, and I
would prefer not to. Is it better to have the OS' on seperate drives or
the primary drive? I know in Windows I can set my virtual memory to a
partition on the second drive and it will improve performace, but I have
512mb of RAM, and Linux rarely ever uses my swap space. The most I have
seen used was 3%, so it would be almost useless to make a new swap
partition., or would it be? How does grub deal with this?

Is there a program that could just copy my Linux partitions over to the
second drive? Then I could just use fdisk on the windows boot CD to
delete my ext dos partition (only has 1 game instaled at the moment
since I have been using FC2 mostly, so no big loss...), then create a
new one using the rest of the space on drive 1, and create logical
drives from there. And then on my second drive I would have my linux
installation with a whole 80gb to it self, rather than sharing 40gb with
windows.

On my current setup, I had 2 Windows partitions (C and D), so I could
only create 2 more for some reason during the Fedora insallation. I have
a ~38gb "/" and a 2gb "swap," but was unable to create a seperate boot
or usr partition. If I transfer my install to the second drive, would it
be possible to change this configuration?

Or would it just be easier to make a second install of Fedora on the new
drive, copy my stuff over from my current fedora install on the first
drive, then edit my partitions to delete fedora on the first drive?