Just added a second Hard Drive

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Sat Jul 31 05:25:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 21:15, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> Well, I just installed my other 80gb hard drive in as slave rather than
> trying to setup a RAID array right now. I am trying to decide what to do
> with it. I am thinking that I could have Windows on one drive and Linux
> on the other, but that would force me to reinstall one of them, and I
> would prefer not to. Is it better to have the OS' on seperate drives or
> the primary drive?  <snip>

I like to have one OS per drive, since Windows like a bad child can't
play well with others it's nice to be able to just unplug the ribbon to
the drive when things go wrong.  Grub didn't set up my win98 drive well
but I found a fix.  I got FC2 going with one drive in, then added the
win drive as a slave.  Here is my /etc/grub.conf

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=3
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.6-1.435.2.3)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.6-1.435.2.3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.6-1.435.2.3.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.6-1.435.2.1)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.6-1.435.2.1 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.6-1.435.2.1.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.6-1.435)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.6-1.435 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.6-1.435.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
title Win 98
	map (hd0) (hd1)
	map (hd1) (hd0)