FC2 upgrade-X problem

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 06:46:01 UTC 2004

Hi Ralph,

I upgraded my RH8.0 to FC2 a few days ago.
Immideately after upgrade completed I ran 'yum update'
to update all installed packages.  The FC2 box is now
working quite nicely except with some minor problems
e.g. Gnome theme and its application disapppeared (I
just post).  KDE is working properly.  Please try
update all installed packages to see whether your
situation can be improved.

B.R.
satimis

 --- Ralph Jones <ralph at nomeking.com> wrote:
> I've just upgraded an FC1 installation to FC2,and
> run into a problem
> getting the X server to launch.
>
> The system had been running Gnome on an ATI Rage
> 128. After the upgrade, if
> I try to boot into run level 5, the X server tries
> repeatedly and endlessly
> to start, usually displaying a blank dark-blue
> hi-res screen with an X
> cursor in the center.
>
> I've changed inittab to boot into run level 3. From
> there, if I try to do
> init 5, I get the same result. However, I can
> command startx from the
> run-level 3 prompt, and the X server comes right up
> with my old Gnome settings.
>
> Next, I made up a test script that runs all the
> start scripts in rc5.d.
> When I run that, it starts up all the services
> associated with run level 5
> -- the Samba server shows up on the network, and so
> forth -- and I am no
> longer able to run startx. However, if I remove the
> xfs start script from
> this script, I'm again able to bring up startx.
>
> Next, I tried removing the xfs startup script from
> rc5.d and booting into
> run level 5...and that put me back where I started.
> I still can't get the X
> server up except by running startx from the text
> prompt.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks...
>
> rj

=====