mplayer, dvd playback and cpu usage

Paolo Cavarretta paolo_cavarretta at yahoo.it
Sat Jul 31 12:59:11 UTC 2004

Dear All,

I used for a long time Fedora Core 1 on my 1GHz
Pentium III, 256Mb RAM and NVidia FX5200 grahic
chipset.
Mplayer was successfully playing dvd using more or
less 30% cpu.

Last Mont I upgraded to Fedora Core 2, installed the
latest driver from Nvidia (6106) from the nvidia site,
followed the same instruction as before included in
the readme file for the driver... but now the mplayer
use 100% cpu to playback dvd.
Also ogle and xine use the same amount of cpu :-(

HW is not changed, everything in the system tell me
that the pc is using hardware acceleration but I think
this not the case...how can I solve the problem?

thanks in advance,
Paolo