Fedora and Redhat

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 31 13:55:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 06:27:10PM -0400, jeem machine wrote:
> I was just wondering what the actual connection between Fedora and Redhat is.
> Will they always be tied?
> [jeem at localhost jeem]$ locate redhat | wc -l
> 6011
> [jeem at localhost jeem]$ locate fedora | wc -l
> 528
> Seems a little uneven. Can't we just get rid of references to Redhat.
> This email is partly in jest but I consider myself a Fedora not Redhat guy.

If you look at fedora.redhat.com, the link is pretty well spelled
out. Fedora is Red Hat's baby, and it still looks a lot like Mom.
There has been some change, and there has been a lot of s/redhat/fedora/g
going on, but the transformation is not complete. The change from
redhat-config-* to system-config-* is a good example of the work
that has been done in this area.

In my opinion Fedora is still a very young project (at least as an
OS). That is easy to forget considering all the progress that has
been made in just a few months. There is tension because a lot of
things are still Red Hat controlled, and Red Hat still has it's
stamp on everything, but things are changing.

My response is to be patient and wait for change. I think we are
moving towards a community where those of us who want to help
really CAN help and not just complain. I think lots of good things
are in the works, but the fact that these little details have not been
taken care of points to the fact that rapid develpment is the goal,
and cosmetic stuff is a secondary priority. I don't like opening up
Mozilla and seeing lots of Red Hat book marks with no mention of
Fedora, but really it doesn't impare the way Mozilla works. I'm
running Mozilla 1.7 and OpenOffice 1.1.2 on FC3test1 and waiting
to see what GNOME 2.7 looks like. To me it's worth a few blemishes
to have all this cool stuff, and I know the blemishes won't be
here forever.