A backup problem

Mike mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Sat Jul 31 15:16:34 UTC 2004

I am installing Linux Fedora Core 2 over a an older RedHat version, 7.1. The
application is a complex one providing a real-time video feed. While
reasonably schooled in the application side there are any number of esoteric
pieces I am struggling with. Specifically something as simple as backing up
the system.

I've tried TAR and SMB only to create ever increasing volumes. The problem I
think is that my attempts are chasing the links instead of simply backing up
the links. I simply want to create a backup that I can copy back, untar or
the like, if I must re-create the system. All my software is a CVS archive,
however much of the meddling I've done to Linux is in the libs, file
structures, links, .conf files and the like.

Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Mike