Mandrake SRPMs on Fedora Core 1

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 1 05:41:29 UTC 2004

Hi,

If anyone has tried rebuilding a Mandrake SRPM on Fedora Core or Red Hat
Linux, your probably got this:

+ %make
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.55192: line 53: fg: no job control
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.55192 (%build)RPM build

errors:
     user florin does not exist - using root
<SNIP>

Apparently the "fix" is that %build is not a macro defined for Red Hat
RPM distributions, so we need to steal it from Mandrake rpms and use it.
  Now this would be perfectly simple if I could just extract the files
from an RPM file of the RPM program for Mandrake, without having to
install them (you will get a Segmentation Fault if you try).  The only
problem is that the only way that I could figure out how to get the
files out was by using Alien to convert the RPM RPM to a tarball, and
extract the tarball.  Does anybody know of another way of doing this?
I'm sure that rpm2cpio could be used, but that seemed pretty complicated
for me to figure out on my own.

Peace,
William