sendmail and dovecot

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Tue Jun 8 19:34:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Nina Pham wrote:

> hi, I'm running FC2. I already activate and configure sendmail. Dovecot
> is already started. For dovecot I just turn on the service, didn't
> change anything. So everything should be set by default. I am able to
> ping to the server from my pc, but when I use Mozzila(similar to
> netscape) to access my mail, it returns with the message "could not
> connect to mail server, the connection was refused". Any idea?

Nina,

It could be the firewall.  Try this:

As root, type "service iptables stop" (without the quotes).  Then try it.
Then type "service iptables start" to start the firewall again.

If you were able to connect when the firewall was turned off, you'll need
to add a rule to /etc/sysconfig/iptables that lets in your email client.

I'm not currently running FC2, so I can't give you a ready-made rule
off-the-cuff.  However, if the above works for you, please post the
contents of your current /etc/sysconfig/iptables, and I'd be happy to
help.

Ben