End of life for FC1?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jun 9 21:28:43 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>Sean Estabrooks said:
>

>>>As it stands, I can't afford to upgrade to FC2 because of its buggy
>>>nature.  This in turn means that my students will not use and therefore
>>> not test FC2, which deminishes the FC community.  I may have to switch
>>>to some other distro for our linux lab.
>>>

>>What good is it trying to attract "testers" who refuse to work with
>>things that aren't perfect?   We need people who are interested in helping
>> resolve problems.   Not people who are so afraid of bugs that they are
>>incapable of helping.   FC2 is working very well for many people. And many
>>other people are helping resolve the issues that do exist.
>>

>Thank you for putting my thoughts into a coherent paragraph.
>
>http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html
>
>"Create a complete general-purpose operating system with capabilities equivalent to competing operating systems, built for and by a community — those who not only consume, but also produce for the good of other community members."

And if the OP is using this in a school lab to teach how to
test/repair/program/???? , then why is it so impossible to install/use
and let the students test/debug/identify problems.

To me it sounds as if he just wants to vent rather than actually
providing an opportunity for the students to do something usefull

--NO-- WAIT -- this lab has to be perfect so he does not have to do
anything to help the students learn ;-)

He just does not want the challenge of keeping up with the bug reports
and fixes so he can tell if what is found by his student is an old
bug/new bug/operator error.