a wibble wish list

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Thu Jun 10 13:47:08 UTC 2004

>>Is your switch saturated or the Gigabit link that is? Can you add a few
>>more NIC cards to the rpm repository box?
>
> I am not sure what you mean! :-/

Is the backplane of the switch saturated or is the your Gigabit NIC
saturated?

If it is your Gigabit NIC, you can add a few more NICs and either use a
multiple homed system with an ip to each NIC or trunk/bond them together
(this depends on support of your switch, you can get two or even four
together) to increase bandwidth available. However, I somehow doubt that
this is your problem.

>>>I can prepare close 448 Linux hard drives a day using my two disk
>>>duplicators. But with the windows drive I can triple that with ease,
>>>because it only dumps the data not the free space too, a dump takes 3
>>>mins for a 3gig install.
>>>
>>>So as you can see we are moving huge volumes and can't afford the usual
>>>conventional methodes for installation we must duplicate, and thats why
>>>I wanted a more desktop complete package, so that setting up a master
>>>drive will be quicker. Not necessarily with the latest packages and
>>>apps!
>>
>>So you are saying with a network install your boys and gals still need
>>to some more installing of apps that don't come with the distro?
>

> Yes! because I don't have a repository, We use std NFS from the ISOs on
> the server.

OUCH! Why on earth do you not have a mirror of the RPMs and updates on a
hard drive or even better a RAID array?? NFS??!!?? From CD-ROMs too?
SCSI CD-ROM drives you got there? You are better off using a fast and
simple http/ftp server program like publicfile from djb or the myriad
other choices out there that are seriously optimized for the kernel.