Filesystem corruption, data loss on usb drives, and more problems with FC2

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 09:49:44 UTC 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Display doesn't shut off
> ------------------------
>
> I have display power management enabled in KDE, and it does go black, but
> not
> really off.  I issue manually
>
> xset dpms force off
>
> it goes black, but the monitor doesn't detect that it's in 'power save'
> mode, where the power light would switch from green to orange.

You're lucky! I can't stop DPMS from activating on my machine. After 30
minutes the screen blanks and the monitor goes off, and it happens again 10
minutes later - this is while I'm sitting using the computer! If I disable
DPMS is xorg.conf, it still goes blank but without powering down the
monitor.

I originally thought this was a KDE bug, but it still happens even if all
power management is disabled in the KDE control centre. KDE 3.2.3 doesn't
fix it either.

Jonathan