disk partition probs - FC2 install

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jun 13 02:29:09 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>>This is the result of using Disk Druid to partition the disk, and its
>>the reason I constantly complain about this piece of software that
>>RedHat has impoesed on us.
>>

>Not true. Disk Druid does not mix the partitions that way. The OP very
>certainly did use other tools, namely from the DOS/Windows[tm] world,
>like Partition Magic. Shall we bet?
>

>>                                        Reg.Clemens

Alexander,

I beg to differ with you.  Disk Druid DOES reorder the partitions on the
disk frequently.

I personally have seen the partition reorganization occur on 3 different
installations, and have never used disk druid since.

In one case I was partiioning an 80gb drive and I created my swap
partion as hda2, immediately following /boot (hda1).
When it was written to the disk it was placed in the extended partition
and occupied the last few cylinders on the disk, after the location
where hda8 was placed.

I know, I could have checked the item to "force" it to be a primary
partition, but that should not be necessary, and I do NOT EVER want my
swap partition to be at the extreme edge of the disk..

Additionally, in a thread on this list a couple months back another user
posted his partition table results and his were also jumbled and not in
partition name order on the disk.