Michael's FUD (Was: Fragen zu Synaptic)

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Jun 14 13:19:17 UTC 2004

[not crossposted to fedora-list-de]

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:57:16 +0200, Stefan Hoelldampf wrote:

> > Where exactly do I "trash other projects"?
>
> E.g. you should read again what you have written in
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-de-list/2004-May/msg00038.html

> Read the second and third paragraph in your mail which I have mentioned
> above.

Is it just that you don't like my personal point of view? I see nothing
wrong in that message. The message you've linked is my first reply in the
thread.

> If you do not use 3rd party repositories, you should not judge them as bad.

I do not "judge them as bad". I see flaws in the development model (e.g.
a single individual doesn't scale). And in particular, in the third
paragraph in the message you've linked, I make clear that I don't condemn
3rd party packages wholesale.

> > A single individual packaging hundreds of
> > packages and releasing new packages (upgrades of packages in Fedora Core
> > even!) without an open QA/Testing process.
>
> *You* do not have to use a repository if it replaces or upgrades
> packages from Fedora Core.

Still I'm free to advocate repositories which do not fork Fedora Core
development and hence protect newbies from running into trouble.