wireless pcmcia

Adam Cooper adam.cooper at port.ac.uk
Wed Jun 16 13:41:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 14:26, Nejc Novak wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card. This card supports 802.11g and b
> standard. I can't get it working. I've pluged it in my laptop but dmesg
> doesn't show anything. Anyone has this card or do you have any advice?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> Nejc

That card uses a Broadcom chipset. Unfortunately for linux users
Broadcom refuses to release its hardware specs to linux driver
developers.

However there is linux software that allows you to use it by
implementing a wrapper for the windows drivers.

You can choose:

Linuxant - http://www.linuxant.com
or
Ndiswrapper - http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

Linuxant costs money but comes with support and other things that you
pay for. Ndiswrapper is free but requires a bit of fiddling (In my
experience)

I went with Ndiswrapper and haven't had any problems.

--
Adam Cooper <adam.cooper at port.ac.uk>