backup

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Jun 16 19:32:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 11:04, Trevor wrote:
> IIRC, rsync doesn't keep permissions and ownership/group properties when
> transferring over to a Windows box. hdup can even split tar.gz files into
> 640MB chunks for cdrom.
This is what the man page says

              rsync -avz foo:src/bar /data/tmp

       This would recursively transfer all files from the directory src/bar on
       the machine foo into the /data/tmp/bar directory on the local  machine.
       The  files  are  transferred in "archive" mode, which ensures that sym-
       bolic links, devices, attributes,  permissions,  ownerships,  etc.  are
       preserved  in  the transfer.  Additionally, compression will be used to
       reduce the size of data portions of the transfer.

However, as you mentioned, if you're backing up from a windows PC, I don;t know how that goes