Recommended Video Card

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Fri Jun 18 05:48:51 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 06:21, Aaron Cirilo wrote:
> i can recommend you "don't" use Nvidia :)
>
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 edwarner99 at yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > What "cheap" video card would someone recommend for 3D rendering.

> > Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone.
> > http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Nonsense, I have two nvidia cards and have tested many others,
The outcome is very simple.
go to
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-fc2-kernel-i686.php
and download the 2.6.6.----427 kernel
and install it, reboot
and download the nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com
switch to init 3 and execute the NVIDIA installer.

The main issues are with 4X cards and the agp bus the seem to lock up
you computer.
to fix this is easy vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
go to the driver section and at the bottom of this section add a line

Option "NvAGP" "0"
or use 1 2 3 see the nvidia README for more info.

on all of my 4x cards I have had to set them to 1 which is the Nvidia
built in agp.

My advise on a cheap card with 3D would be an 8x 32mb ge-force they go
for about R350 (Rand) and in dollars that would be about $50
Else see if you can get a seconf hand geforce 2

Chadley Wilson
Soon 2 B RHCE
Linux Rocks
Welcome to my world.