How do you recover from a borked compile?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Jun 19 03:45:05 UTC 2004

--On Friday, June 18, 2004 8:22 PM -0700 Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz
<fc2box at etanisla.com> wrote:

> My question is, is there anything special I need to do before trying to
> compile this again, or can I just wipe out my linux-2.6.7 directory and
> start  over from scratch?

Have you considered building from the source RPM? Unpack it, edit the
config file of your choice, and add your initials or another identifier to
the revision string in the spec file. Then rebuild and install the
resulting binary RPM.

I did this to add legacy PTY's to the kernel. The hard part was figuring
out what to put in the config file. (I needed an extra variable defining
how many PTY's in addition to the one that enables the support.)