Linuxconf replaced by what?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jun 21 15:57:58 UTC 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Hugh Foster wrote:
>
>>> If you have any particular queries, ask again.
>>

>> Being a bit dim here. The box (it's a laptop) has failed to
>> initialize its'
>> PCMCIA and I want to rummage; I tried system-config-pcmcia and
>> system-config-network but nothing happened. All help is most appreciated
>

> if it's the same problem i had, i have to (for now) manually
>
>   # modprobe yenta_socket
>   # service pcmcia start
>
> since /etc/init.d/pcmcia is still a bit whacked out in terms of getting
> stuff right.  i'd be really interested if this fixes the problem.
>
> rday

The posts I have seen do not indicate a problem with pcmcia directly,
but rather with activating network interface before the pcmcia service
is started..

OTOH, there is an apparent conflict with the network and pcmcia.   Most
have had good luck in getting pcmcia to work at boot time *and* load the
network by setting the network config for the pcmcia adapter to NOT load
at boot.  When the pcmcia services start later the network interface is
activated anyway.  If the network interface is activated first it seems
to prevent proper initialization of the pmmcia card.