Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 22:56:18 UTC 2004

Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> What they tell me is that There's a 1Mbit link to the office in Asia.
>
> And yeah.. It's over the internet..(over VPN is my guess) :-)
>
> But... If I were to do a wget from the server I get like up to 100K/s

Um. I think we've got unit problems here. To me 100 K/s = 100 KB / s
= 100 kilobytes / s.

As the 1 Mbit/s gives a theoretical maximum speed of 125 KB/sec, not
including anything for protocols (VPN + UDP/IP + NFS), other traffic,
delays due to latency, spam, comic particles, or the hosts of Midian.

In practice, you can take link speed in Mbit / s and divide by ten to
get a reasonable maximum transfer rate in MByte / s. And that's on a
good day.

How are you measuring that figure?

James.
--