2.6.6-1.435: kswapd clears out cache?

Philip Molter philip at corp.texas.net
Mon Jun 28 20:19:41 UTC 2004

> What type of workload does your application produce?
>
> Are you mounting and unmounting drives all of the time?  That can show
> the behaviour you're describing... Maybe you don't want the automounter
> turned on on your server.  Maybe you just need to set a longer timeout...

No.

I actually also filed the same bug over at bugzilla.kernel.org and
Andrew Morton informs me that it has to do with the SMP/NUMA code and
the 4G/4G boundary.  By passing a mem=3936MB option to the kernel at
boot time, the problem with the filesystem cache getting wiped out goes
away.

Bug #2973 if anyone's interested in his explanation (which I don't do
justice since I'm not a kernel VM coder).

Philip