Updating files

Dennis Calhoun dcalhoun at blomand.net
Mon Mar 1 04:45:10 UTC 2004

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:33:30 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello again.
>
>Whenever i update my files it gives me another, newer version whenever i
>reboot my machine but what the problem is that i cannot access the
>graphical desktop. it gives me the text only. how can i fix it so that
>it can work?

If I read this right, you are speaking of a problem that you are
having whenever you update your kernel, right?

If so and if you have a non-standard driver for your display adaptor
installed, such as nvidia, you will have to either recompile the
adaptor or remove it and install a newer version of the driver that is
already appropriate for the newer kernel.

Every time I do a kernel update I have to recompile the nvidia driver
for my system, using text commands only, before the GUI can be
accessed using the new kernel. I do so by changing to the directory
that contains the driver file and then running it with the command
sh <filename>
where <filename> is the exact name of the driver file.

So far this has worked well for me every time, without having to do
anything else outside of the actual installation procedures that the
driver script presents.

Dennis C.