I need advice about hardware :) Tv tuner, Video card,etc..

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon Mar 1 17:00:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 13:52, Coume - Lubox.com wrote:
> Is one of you actually using a TV-tuner under linux? Which one would you
> advice me??
> - good quality of tuner
> - The perfect thing would be with integrated MPEG2 encoding/decoding
> - with a TV-out and TV-in
> - a remote (integrated or an added one if it can work under linux)

I have a prolink play tv pro card (which uses the bttv module)... It has
a good tv tuning (but I recommend using an external antenna or a cable,
because in my box the image is not very good , because of interference
caused by my computer). The capture is good , but in linux it didnt work
very well @640x480.. The resulting file had too many dropped frames ,
while the same capture at the same resolution when made using windows
had only 3 dropped frames.. (and I stopped all services and was using
window maker , just to make sure that my CPU was almost 100% available
to the capture process).
I dont remmember now if this card has tv-out , but almost any video card
has this feature these days ( specially ATI and Nvidia based cards).

--
Pedro Macedo