odd X-remote-displays error (not fixed with DisallowTCP)

Chris dubious9 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 19:51:51 UTC 2004

I am having trouble with my X remote displays on Fed.
Core 1.  I wish I could always use ssh -X, but here at
my network, we don't have it installed on some
machines, thus I want to open my x-server up.  I
initially tried fixing DisallowTCP=false in
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, and did a init 3; init 5.

This worked for a while, but I think I fubar'ed
something and had to reinstall.  Now the
DisallowTCP=false doesn't work when I telnet to
somewhere.  I have $DISPLAY correctly set up on the
server. I even tried the weird hostname/unix:0
fashion.

When I "ps axuwww | grep nolisten" it doesn't return
anything but the grep process. The relevent gdm lines
are
root      2961  0.0  0.8 11140 2180 ?        S
14:18   0:00 /usr/bin/gdm-binary -nodaemon
root      3016  0.0  1.1 11796 2828 ?        S
14:18   0:00 /usr/bin/gdm-binary -nodaemon
root      3017  6.1  7.5 55668 19256 ?       S
14:18   1:29 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth
/var/gdm/:0.Xauth vt7

When I "netstat" stuff it also doesn't show anything
(obviously) wrong.

Even weirder when I "ssh -X" to a Linux machine, x
forwarding works, but when I ssh to a Unix (hp-ux)
machine I still can't connect.

I messed around with xauth for a while, but that
didn't seem to work either.  I also restarted, a
habbit I'm trying to kick from my windows days.

It might be some files on the servers but I don't know
where to look. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

~Chris