nvidia driver question

Gertjan Vinkesteijn fedora2 at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 2 08:36:42 UTC 2004

thedogfarted wrote:

> It's ok now, i used nvidia's 1.0-5336 driver & kernel module from
> atrpms. I don't know why, but it yelled that it has something like
> atrpm-config or something like that in deps and it conflicts with my
> version of yum. However, workaround was very simple - renaming
> yum.conf to yum.conf.backup or whatever, let atrpm-config or whatever
> install it's own version of yum.conf, and thed replace it with the old
> one.
>
> At least i have the header files! (But i miss livna's config utility)
>
> The link was broken but i found the page - nothing more than flame.
> And this "bug" was fixed before 5336. I found more useful information
> in http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
>
> FC1 and other Linux users with nvidia cards and drivers should read it
> time after time. Luckily i haven't experienced problems discussed
> there yet.
>
> Daniel Stonier wrote:
>
>> There's a detailed explanation of the redhat/nvidia state of affairs
>> atm at
>>
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/long_list/cgi?buglist=110124
>>
>> If that fails, just do a google for "redhat bugzilla nvidia".
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel.
>>
>> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:54:59 +0200, thedogfarted
>> <thedogfarted at inbox.lv> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if i should  install nvidia display driver form nvidia.com
>>> instead of my current driver from livna.
>>>
>>> i have now installed following rpms:
>>>
>>> nvidia-glx-1.0.4620-0.lvn.18.1
>>> kernel-module-nvidia-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-1.0.4620-0.lvn.18.1
>>> nvidia-glx-devel-1.0.4620-0.lvn.18.1
>>>
>>> and now i've downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
>>>
>>> The reason why i want to install is that i still have Mesa's GL
>>> header files in /usr/include. If i remember correctly, nvidia's
>>> install replaced them with their own, and this is what i need.
>>>
>>> Why they weren't replaced when i installed driver from rpm? Can i
>>> safely just get the nvidia's GL header files and replace the
>>> existing ones?

I got the driver from
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-5336.html, it is
called NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
<http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-5336/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run>
I run it and it puts the module in the kernel. This is for my pci TNT2
card, AGP is already build in the kernel as a module:
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=y in .config

What does nvidia/nForce has to say?

Package Availability

This package can be found at the NVIDIA web site:

We strongly urge you to only use software obtained from this website or
a trusted Linux distribution for your nForce hardware.

--
Peace is everywhere
http://gershwin.xs4all.nl