Reading Live SMB Files

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Tue Mar 2 09:30:27 UTC 2004

Sorry for top posting, but for this part, it seems to be more
appropriate.

I was always under the impression, the reason why most applications will
not open some thing directly from the GNOME smb network browser was due
to it being another abstraction layer that most applications are unaware
of.
When dealing with normal users I actually find it a hindrance that this
is here at all, as users automatically assume they can use it as they
would in windows. I have found this to be very far from reality.
It is a pity that fedora does not ship any thing out of the box that
will allow us as users to just go to a network share and browse it as if
it was local.

Till that happens I am left with mounting them using pam_mount or
similar till a better solution comes to light.

I really do dislike the additional abstraction layer that's being used,
and the split between KDE and GNOME on this :(

Doug