Reading Live SMB Files

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser at pmbenterprises.com
Tue Mar 2 21:21:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 03:59, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> I have not been following this thread TOO closely, as it got far to
> wordy far to quickly..
>
> I am running a combined windows/linux network at my office, where some
> of the linux users have to access the SMB shares (as it's easier to do
> that then set up NFS clients on the windows machines).
>
> I was faced with the same problem that you have and found a nice little
> utility called pam_mount.
>
> It has two config files, global (for the box) and local (for the
> individual). You can set up all the mount points you may desire (not
> limited to smb). The username/password is obtained at the time the user
> log's in to the machine (either at the console or via GDM).
>
> No username/passwords need to be stored any where on the local machine.
>
> Not as nice as "Network Neighbourhood" in windows, but a hell of a lot
> better then then the GNOME solution :(
>
> Doug

Thanks for the tip and description. I took a look at the site,
bookmarked it and downloaded the source RPM for FC1. It looks like the
best solution for effortless mounting of shares while still preserving
user security. I will install it a little later on in the week. Looking
forward to this! :0)

Thanks again,

Paul