Memory use

Alec Berryman alec at lorax.wox.org
Tue Mar 2 22:00:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:04:34AM +0200, thedogfarted wrote:
> After reboot system monitor shows i have more that 50% memory free, but
> the amount of memory used is slowly rising and now it's 4h after reboot
> and i have 100% memory used :(

Linux uses RAM to its fullest.  When you run a 'free -m' from the console,
you'll see a line that says "-/+ buffers/cache" - those are the numbers you
ought to be looking at.  For example, right now I supposedly have 4MB free
memory, but without the buffers and cache data it's more like
800-something.