Why no R in Fedora (was Statistical Package (like Minitab) for Linux)

Peter L. Hurd phurd at ualberta.ca
Tue Mar 2 22:27:55 UTC 2004

Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz at MedAnalytics.com> said

|On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 14:11, Globe Trotter wrote:
|> On another note, I wonder why this is not included in Fedora. SuSE
|includes it,
|> perhaps because they are European.
|

|...Part of the issue is
|the large number of "add-on" packages for R, that are not only on CRAN,
|but on BioConductor and other R related repositories. Trying to
|standardize the various components across multiple locations and for
|multiple versions of RH/FC is a substantial undertaking at this point.

The fedora rpm provided at the CRAN site contains very few add-on
packages, and is still very use-able.  Even just the base & ctest
packages would provide a large amount of functionality.

Users can easily install.packages() on top of this more stuff from CRAN.
I always seem to end up installing a few packages eg. lineno, or
numline) to RH/Fedora TeTeX installations...  I can't see why any heavy
thought has to go into what more or less ought to go into an R package
than is already in the CRAN packages.

-P.

--
Peter L. Hurd                                  Department of Psychology
Assistant Professor                               University of Alberta