Three Questions from a Linux Virgin

Terry Polzin fox3ec208 at wideopenwest.com
Wed Mar 3 01:58:15 UTC 2004

On Tuesday March 2 2004 19:26, sreynolds at internode.on.net wrote:
> Yesterday I installed Fedora on a stand-alone machine at
> home.
>
> Q1) When I mount my USB flash drive I can only write to the
> drive as root. I logged in as root and tried to change
> permissions for all users to RWE (777?), but I get a message
> that says that I don't have permission to change permissions
> on the flash drive. I thought root was god, so my wild guess
> is that there is something wrong with my entry for sda1 in
> fstab:
>
> /dev/sda1  /mnt/removable  auto  auto,user,rw  0 0
>
> Is there something wrong with this entry?
Unmount the flash drive, what are the permissions on the mount point with the
flash unmounted.  Change permissions on mount points with devices unmounted.

> Q2) What's the command to change file and directory
> permissions recursively down through a directory tree.
>
> Q3) I have a reasonably new Canon LBP-810 laser printer that
> I can't print to because Fedora doesn't have print drivers
> for this printer. I've googled for printer drivers, but
> can't find any. I've googled the problem and it seems Linux
> cannot support this printer. The only solution that I can
> find is to run a widows printer server and print through
> that. This isn't a solution for a single stand-alone machine
> at home and of course I don't want to network two machines
> and run two machines just so that I can print.
>
> Is there a solution or has my printer denied me access to
> the wonderful world of Linux?

What does http://www.linuxprinting.org say about your printer, I use them as
the definative resource for linux printing then the printer mfgr.
Good luck.  Like one of the other folks who replied you may do better doing
google searches for the chip set that drives the printer than the specific
model.