Fedora the right choice?

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Wed Mar 3 20:35:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:17:17 -0500, "George Lemos" <listreader at lemosnet.com>
wrote:

>I am building a server to do several things. Host a simple website and web
>forum, host a voice communications utility, and run a multiplayer game
>server for about 20-25 people. FYI system specs P4 1.4ghz, 1GB ram. I can
>easily get this going on a windows server which is what I do for a living.
>But in an effort to force myself to learn and get more experience with Linux
>I would like to commit to running this box with Linux.
>
>Linux may use less of the boxes resources too.
>
>Is fedora the right choice for me? Will this distro of Linux get me to the
>level of success I am looking for? I'm planning on doing this the command
>line route all the way. I am assuming if I install this OS minus the GUI
>I'll have extra resources for the box to do its thing.
>
>As a Linux novice, anything I should know or look into, be aware of, etc
>that people on this list can recommend to me will be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks!
>/g

FYI, I'm running a 450MHz PIII box with 596MB memory as a small server doing
mail (POP and IMP webmail for user interface, sendmail as the MTA, and file
and print services for the PCs in the house).  Most of the time the machine
sits idle.  It's connected via a 100Mbps el-cheapo network card to the
broadband router.

I installed the GUI components, but boot into init level 3 (non-graphics
mode). I do use the GUI occasionally, but only for some good configuration
tools (like guarddog for the firewall).

I'm very happy with Fedora. Installation went better and faster than any
Windows install I've ever done (except for the time to download the .iso
files).
--
   Steve